Today is a “new day!” For the first time since we moved in, we have privacy AND a new level of freshness in two bathrooms and our eat-in kitchen. (More on the master bath later.) The lack of privacy was our fault; in our effort to strip away as much grossness as we could, we took down all the window treatments. We had curtains from our old house to hang in the bedrooms and living room, but nothing for other rooms, like our tiny powder room.
The powder room window stretches down almost to the level of the (very) nearby toilet seat. You can see how this is problematic with no window coverings.
We had stripped wallpaper in here before we moved in. And when I say stripped… I mean lightly-pulled-down-with-one-hand because the wallpaper was affixed with Scotch tape. Little tape “donuts.” Not wallpaper glue. Not even double-sided tape. Who does that?! We shook our heads, but then cheered that something was easier and faster than we hoped!
We chose a medium gray, textured print shade that could be pulled down or pushed up from the bottom to provide privacy while still letting daylight in at the top so the room didn’t feel too claustrophobic. Before the good folks at Budget Blinds came to install the shade, Chris scrubbed and painted the window frame bright white (Maui Mist by Behr) to match the new baseboards.
He finished off the walls with a pale blue/green with gray undertones called New Day by Behr. I am so in love!
Fun fact: We chose the color based on the lemon/mint leaf Bath and Body Works candle on the sink, given to us by our agent on closing day. We loved the smell and the color, and when the name of the paint chip seemed so appropriate, we went with it 🙂
I still have a few other changes planned for this bathroom, but this is a livable mid-point in our makeover.
Over in the eat-in kitchen…
We knew what we were doing when we took down the blinds with mounds of dust and decided to tough out the lack of privacy until we could replace them with something we liked. We selected roller shades with a subtle blue/gray medallion print that not only fit the space now, but also fit into our (current) vision for what we hope a remodeled kitchen will look like.
To back things up: Just like in the bathroom, Chris scrubbed and painted all three of the window frames, patched holes, sanded and dusted the walls.
We agonized over what color to paint the eat-in area because it’s so central to the kitchen, the hallway and the living room and none of those areas have been repainted yet. Then we found this subtle and cheery pale yellow (Calla by Behr). It’s not that far off the yellowy tan that was there, but cleaner and brighter. It picks up on some yellows in the 3-D art piece we bought a few years ago in Pittsburgh that hangs on the side wall. Since we aren’t remodeling the kitchen for a few years, these smaller investments are really helping us make the space “ours” in the meantime.
Now all we have to do is keep these free of little fingerprints!